Leechburg Volunteer Fire Department
268 Canal Street
Leechburg, PA 15656
Emergency Number: 911
Fire Chief: Robert "Tom" Foster
A Brief History:
In 1890, the citizens of Leechburg organized the fire fire company.
Many of the towns' finest young men volunteered for service and soon after
the first piece of equipment was bought; a $180 hand
pulled hose cart.
After several more months of fund raising, enough funds were availble to
purchase the second piece of equipment; a hook and ladder hand pulled truck.
Within a short time
additional equipment was purchased but for 23 years the hand
drawn equipment serviced the department. In 1915 a new Brockway Motorized
truck was purchased for $3,000 and in 1922 another motorized truck was bought.
In 1935, a Seagrave triple combination
truck was acquired and
in 1936 another
truck, a Chevrolet triple combination, was purchased. In 1939 came the
the early years of the fire company, equipment was stored at both ends of town.
The location of one of these early fire halls was under the old Leechburg
Bridge, adjacent to the present bridge. The "Leechburg Advance" reported
in 1894 that the new borough built a two story brick building to house the new
equipment. 36 years after the borough built the two story fire hall, they
realized the fire company and other offices were too crowded. A decision
was made to renovate the present building and build a new one to be known as the
Municpal Building. This was located at the corner of Market and Second Street.
Today the Leechburg Fire Department is located at 268 Canal Street.